June 27-29, 2008
Keynote Speakers: Carla Marengo-Vaglio, Jean-Michel Rabaté, Jacqueline Risset
Scholars are invited to submit 300-word proposals for a three-day conference on all subjects pertaining to Joyce and Italy.
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
● Joyce and the Local(s)
● Joyce and Pola-Pula/Trieste/Rome
● Joyce and the Italian language
● Portrait of Joyce as a young Italian, Giacomo Joyce…
● Joyce and/in translation (from Nino Frank & Co to Gruppo 63, Diacono, and Schenoni…)
● Joyce and Movies, Film Adaptations, Joyce’s interest in films, what can Viaggio in Italia / Voyage in Italybring to the reader of James Joyce?
● Joyce and Italian writers, artists, and thinkers (the “classics”, Joyce’s contemporaries, the legacy and posterity of Joyce…)
* Joyce and Dante, Bruno, Vico…
* Joyce and Svevo, D’Annunzio, Calvino, Eco…
● Joyce and politics (Italian nationalism, Ferrero…)
● Joyce’s literary connections, such as Valéry Larbaud and Samuel Beckett, known for their interest in Italian culture (Larbaud, a native of nearby Vichy, is also of special relevance to the conference as the “supervisor” of Morel’s translation of Ulysses; as for Beckett, he left long-lasting impressions in Saint-Gérand).
Presentations should be between 25 and 30 minutes so as to leave time for discussion.
A selection of papers will be published in the conference proceedings.
Please send 300-word proposals, along with a brief 100-word bio, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by April 5, 2008.
Notification will be sent by April 20, 2008.
Schedule of events:
● Friday and Saturday: Keynote addresses and papers.
● Saturday night: Banquet with live music.
● Sunday morning: visit/guided tour of the area.
Registration fees before May 12, 2008:
Regular rate: 70 euros (includes coffee breaks, Friday and Saturday lunches, and reception at the Valéry Larbaud Center)
Graduate students: 50 euros
Additional fee for Saturday night banquet: 30 euros
Registration fees after May 12, 2008:
Regular rate: 90 euros (includes breakfasts, afternoon breaks, lunches, and reception)
Graduate students: 70 euros
Additional fee for Saturday night banquet: 30 euros.
Good value accommodation available in and around Saint-Gérand in small hotels and ‘Chambres d’hôtes’ (Guest Houses/B&B’s): 60 euros in average. Bus shuttle available to participants staying in Vichy.
Inscription / Reservation / Hébergement / Accomodation / Paiement /Payment
En ligne sur le site : http://www.jamesjoyce-stgerand.com